Keep Believing in Yourself
Interview, Photography by Annie Liao
|．Add: No. 21, Lane 1, Alley 269, WuXing St.|
1. Why did you open this coffee shop?
I wanted to open start my own business after getting an MBA from the U. S. It just so happens that my parents ran a coffee shop, which makes the coffee business a convenient choice.
2. Why here?
I wanted more space under a tight budget, so I chose to open a big store in a small alley.
3. How did you come up with the name?
It was from a famous legend: Coffee was discovered by an Arabian shepherd called Kaldi.
4. What do you remember the most at this cafe?
Running this business. I was in a financial crisis, and I was too proud to make a loan. It was grit that helped me pull this through.
5. Who do you remember the most at this cafe?
There was a regular costumer who once took me to the hospital for a little check-up. I didn’t know the check-up became something more serious. She gave me a shoulder to cry on when I had otherwise no one to turn to. Up to this point, I still don’t know why she did that, but I truly appreciate it.
6. What's your least favorite question from costumers?
"Why are you not married?" "Why are you opening a coffee shop after getting an MBA?"
7. What's your most memorable cafe?
There was a café in Venice called Florian. It’s a 270-year-old store with a fancy look. There were live bands on the outside. On the inside, they’ve also got cute waiters.
8. What food goes best with coffee?
Freshly-baked French bread.
9. Any food or beverage recommendation for foreigners?
Our hot house blend.
10. Where is your favorite seat in this cafe?
The table on the right-hand side of the bar. It gives me a sense of security.
11. What kind of music goes best with coffee?
Vocal Jazz from the 50s and 60s, such as Louis Armstrong.
12. Recommendations for non-coffee drinkers?
Our smoothies, some of which alcoholic.
13. What's your favorite coffee flavor?
I like African beans, especially those from Ethiopia. They have very fruity tastes, just not your usual coffee flavors.
14. When do you drink coffee?
Whenever I’m having a bad day, or at the beginning of my work day. It’s become a ritual.
15. How did you fall for coffee?
Actually, I learned the specifics about coffee only because I wanted to run this business. As I got to know more about coffee, I got more intrigued. Turns out coffee has a cleansing function. It even sharpens your taste bud!
16. What's the link between coffee and personality?
Stubborn people might like Mandheling; Rational people Afircan beans; unrealistic ones can try coffee beans from central America.
17. What's the style of your store?
I want a family-friendly, chic-looking café with perfect lighting. It’s been difficult under the current circumstances, financially and environmentally.
18. In one sentence, describe your cafe.
Kaldi is a friendly place filled with laughters.
19. In your opinion, what makes Taiwan special?
People. Taiwanese people are too warm-hearted. I fell on the street twice. There was a stranger offering to help me out in each time.
20. What's your favorite place in Taiwan?
I have no comments on that.