Open All of Your Senses
Interview, Photography by Annie Liao
|．Hour: 1130 - 2300|
|．Add: 85, Sec. 3, Keelung Rd.|
|．5Senses Cafe Facebook Page|
1. Why did you open this coffee shop?
I used to work in coffee shops during school. About two years ago, the owner of this shop found me.
2. Why here?
The owner of this shop took over a failing business, which was a coffee shop as well.
3. How did you come up with the name?
The owner wanted the customers to experience both coffee and the atmosphere with all of their senses.
4. What do you remember the most at this cafe?
Ever since our shop was featured in a hit TV series, lots of Japanese and Korean visitors came just to check out the scenes. Not speaking any Mandarin, all they did was show me the photos and ask: "Yes? Yes?" When I nodded, they seemed happy and walked out without ordering anything.
5. Who do you remember the most at this cafe?
A group of college students, who are also photography enthusiasts, regularly come to our store and discuss their art work called "Project 10".
6. What's your least favorite question from costumers?
"What's the minimum charge?" I consider the act of freeloading selfish, so I don't really like those who simply occupy a seat without ordering anything.
7. What's your most memorable cafe?
Ecole Café. I like the atmosphere there. The store is not big, but the dim lights make me feel that there's a story in every corner of the store.
8. What food goes best with coffee?
Any refreshing food. You cannot taste different layers of the coffee if you have something heavy.
9. Any food or beverage recommendation for foreigners?
Food: French toast with cheese and ham. A lot of foreigners order this item, and they usually order two! Drink: Salty caramel latte. The mixture of sweetness and saltiness tastes like Taiwanese cuisine.
10. Where is your favorite seat in this cafe?
The big wooden table. It's huge, giving me a sense of security, and I can secretly see what people are doing.
11. What kind of music goes best with coffee?
I like relaxing, ambient music. Rock is not for me, I feel stressed listening to rock music.
12. Recommendations for non-coffee drinkers?
Honey banana milkshake. It's good and healthy.
13. What's your favorite coffee flavor?
I like the brown sugar coffee at Black Bar, it's sweet and healthy.
14. When do you drink coffee?
I have coffee first thing in the morning. Without it, I feel like the day hasn't started.
15. How did you fall for coffee?
There was a coffee shop in my apartment building, and I was often drawn by the smell of coffee. So I took a job there when I was 23, starting my journey with coffee.
16. What's the link between coffee and personality?
I don't think there is a link, but maybe mature people tend to drink black coffee.
17. What's the style of your store?
comfortable and care-free.
18. In one sentence, describe your cafe.
5Senses hopes to be a second home to our costumers.
19. In your opinion, what makes Taiwan special?
People. We are passionate people.
20. What's your favorite place in Taiwan?
Night market food. You cannot find it elsewhere.